Re: Re: Magnum head bolts!

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 14:41:40 EST

I was wondering about that myself but kept quiet about it.

In all of the engines that i've built (either personally or professionally), we
NEVER used oil. (Sometimes silicon if it was required.)

We always used a "Thread Chaser" (or a simple Tap and Die set) to clean out the
threaded holes as well as the threads on the bolts. This way, you'll get an
accurate reading. There's nothing worse than "gook" on the threads causing an
inaccurate reading. (Even used is on the new ARP bolts as well...never want to
take a chance.)

- Bernd