Re: Re: Re: Leaking M-1: was, my 360 pics!

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 14:59:06 EST

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Jon Smith wrote:

> Mark, I think you're about the only exception... every other M-1/MPI
> install I've seen or heard of, the manifold will leak around the back of the
> manifold, near the oil press. unit and distributor. I've had mine of
> countless times trying to stop it *knocking on wood* I might have it
> whipped now *knocking on more wood*

   No leaks on my MPI. I know Bill Tierney had a leak when he first
installed his, but that was easily fixed. You just have to be sure to
fill the dowel locating holes with RTV, and be sure to run a bead of
RTV around them and along the gasket. (Use the rubber + steel
gaskets instead of the cork.) You'll also want to try to drop the
manifold down onto the block only once, and not move it around at
all. That's why my MPI kit now includes studs which you can use
to drop the MPI straight down onto the block and align it perfectly
the first time. If you're not using a stud and it doesn't line
up perfectly, pull it back off the engine, re-do the RTV, and try
again...

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'