Re: Which recovery package?

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 11:35:30 EST

andylevy@bigfoot.com (Andy Levy) wrote in <3A136AD3.500D1A8A@bigfoot.com>:

>'Tis the season to be making a Christmas wish list, and I'm thinking
>about recovery gear for pulling people out of the snow and the
>occasional offroading trek. I don't have a winch, and won't have one
>for a long time.
>
>I'm thinking about the Patrol II with the 3" upgrade from
>http://www.recoverygear.com/bags.html . Mostly because it includes the
>hitch block to slide into my receiver. From there, I can add bits and
>pieces separately. Does this look like a good kit and deal? Any other
>packages anyone can recommend?

  Sorry for the late response on this one, Andy... I finally had a
chance to check out the URL just now. Looks pretty good, but I think
you could assemble the same thing cheaper. Figure on about $15ea for
the two shackles, and instead of the hitch block, you could get a
standard hitch reciever ball mount ($20) and another shackle ($15).
(You'd insert the shackle into the hole where the ball would normally
go.) $10 for a pair of gloves, $10 for a bag. That's $85, which
leaves $70 to buy a strap with. (I'm not sure how much straps are
going for but you should be able to get a nice one for way less than
$70. I think I paid $40 for the two 15' surplus tank straps I've got
from a fellow DML'er. (Rob?)

  Oh, also, I think Northern Tool (www.northerntool.com) has some
recovery gear. I remember seeing an adaptor with some T and J hooks
on it like the flatbed drivers use; they hook into the holes in a
vehicle's frame. Something like that could come in useful for towing
someone that doesn't have any good mounting points. (i.e. just about
every passenger car on the market) ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'