Re: Carlsbad Report-Slicks

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 22:05:58 EST

My experience with all Goodyear race tires available to the public is that
they are NEVER the best. They are ALWAYS the most expensive.

I can tell you that my dad's old racing partner, "Uncle Bob", who runs two
NHRA Super Stockers (including the 98 and 99 US Nationals champion), now
runs Hoosier Slicks. Previous to that they ran Firestones (which became
Phoenix F/X's last year). They haven't run Goodyears since the early 70's.
While we were running Firestones, our major competitors either ran
Firestones or Mickey Thompsons.

I'm wondering if you might get more wear out some DOT race tires like the
Drag Radials or the M/T ET Streets. I've never used DOT slicks.

Now that they are running Dakotas in NHRA Stock Eliminator we should try to
get information on what they are doing to the vehicles. I'm not sure what
Steve Wann is running, but I can probably find out a little about his
combination in the off season. The Wann's are old customers and family
friends. I really should have gone to the Finals at Pomona.

I'm interested in what rear springs they are running and what they do for a
front spring and shock. Also if they run CalTracs. Be very curious what
tranny setup and converter they run.

-Steve Ekstrand