Winter and no heat!!!

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 23:53:55 EST

hmmm.. ok, well started to use the heat for the first time in my truck
this fall, and found out, I'm getting almost no heat! Just some basic
info. 1st - only mods are quick-d intake and gibson cat-back. 97 cc slt
5.2L. 2nd - I drive 30 min to work. About 5 min city, 20 min hwy,
another 5 min city. I'll drive about 15 min, see my temp up to about
210-220, figure the engine is warmed up. Turn on the heat. I get about
5-10 seconds of BARELY lukewarm air before it goes cold again. Turn it back
off. I drive down further. Meanwhile, I'm watching my temp gauge slowly go
back and forth from 175(?!?!?) up to 220ish, and back down.. goes back and
forth about every 30 seconds or so... I've even driven on the hwy at 70mph
with od off for 10 min (little over 3000 RPM) to try to get it to warm up..
no go.. I'm thinking thermostat, and since it's probably time to put in a
180 anyway (or maybe that isn't the best idea with this problem???)... I'm
thinking the thermostat is stuck open... suggestions/ideas?? please
help.. I don't wanna freeze my arse off and this means I gotta drive the
little 4 banger Probe to work until it's got heat again.. hmmm.. also
sounds like a good time to get some Autolite 3923's ;-) oh yeah, heat
worked just fine last winter.

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L