Re: Thermostat Question

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 10:04:37 EST

Kyle,

My limited understanding is this... Radiator fluid flows through the heater
core to provide heat to the cab. Therefore, the higher the Rad. fluid temp.
the higher the max. temp. of the air that's blown into the cab. I recently
switched back to a 195 stat. and can notice a bit of difference from the 180.

I've heard this too and is the primary reason for switching back... Haven't
gotten any data yet as I was up hunting all last week but I'll keep ya' posted
of any change. Somebody else will have to discuss the mechanics of why MPG
should be better...

The T-Stat is a pretty simple item. Because you do the P/M by changing the
fluid, I don't see why it should ever fail as there are no significant
mechanical wear items involved with a T-Stat. I would think the only way they
would fail is because they become gummed up with crud or it was defective from
the manufacturer...
Tom