Re: Thermostat Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 14:53:38 EST

> It's possible in extreme/cold areas (30 or below) since, while moving, the
air
> will be much colder and "Super Cools" the radiator. A colder t'stat "MAY"
> cause your mileage to go down simply since a colder engine require a
little bit
> more fuel. But, in normal operating conditions (180 T'Stat = 185
degrees), you
> shouldn't see any loss in economy (negligable if you do see something).
>
> As for changing out the T'Stat on a service interval, that would vary on
how
> often you change the coolant, how dirty the coolant is, what brand of
T'Stat
> (cheapo-brands don't last very long), and the condition of your cooling
system
> (dirt, grime, corrostion in the cooling system). I change mine out every
30K
> miles and have since i've owned liqued-cooled engines.

30 degrees is extreme cold?? Bernd, you need to get out of Texas more often,
hehe. Just playin.
Since I drain my trucks radiator once a year, and flush the entire cooling
system every two years....I cant see how I cold have a tstat failure related
to the coolant. I did replace the stock 195 with a Super Stant 195, which I
thought was the better of the 2 Stant tstats available. Thanks alot for the
input. I did go hunting this morning and drove 75 all the way there, round
trip of 120 miles, and only used a tad over 1/4 tank. I think it has more to
do with city driving and my gas mileage problems.............
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6