RE: Thermostat Question

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 15:24:17 EST

Kyle,

T-stats can go out at anytime. You can have one last 10 years or end up
like Bill from Mobile. His didn't last a week. Refreshing your coolant
every other year is a big help insofar as contaminants and rust is concerned
but not necessarily a t-stat saver. T-stats stuck close would cause you to
overheat and t-stats stuck open may make it so your engine never heats up
enough thereby causing you to stay in open loop and running rich (burning
more fuel) but not so much that you would notice it on your plugs. It's
just that your truck's PCM would keep it in the performance position rather
than cruise position. Today's t-stats generally get stuck on the open side
rather than ruin your engine by allowing it to overheat.

Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile