Re: 4.7 Engines... Built right

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 00:33:49 EST

Jeff, as much as I hate to admit it, Ford's "triton" series engines are very
similar in construction to the 4.7L & I can't tell you how many of the
"triton" ford motors I have seen with blown head gaskets.I've tried putting
several of them back together(new gaskets,block decked,heads surfaced),and
it just doesn't seem to work.3 of them came apart again within 1000mi.I know
some guys at the local ford place here and I was talking with them about
it.They were saying that when one of these comes into the shop with a blown
gasket(s),Ford won't let them replace the head gaskets,they send them
complete new crate motors.I saw it happening on both of my buddy's fords,his
'97 4.6L(had 3 motors in this one,traded with 60K on it and blown
gaskets),and his 2000 5.4(already on a replacement motor,gaskets blew at
6,000 mi.).When ford sends the engines in,they are complete from pan to
throttle body.If you get the motors hot,it puts incredible stress on the
gaskets,remember,we've got iron blocks expanding at one rate,aluminum heads
at another,and when the engine gets out of normal temp. range, the gaskets
just can't take the pressure.In my friend's '97 4.6L ford,he and I took it
over to the next little town one day,and it ran good.On the way back,we
picked up a piece of paper off the road and it got on the grille.He noticed
the temp. getting warmer(it got to the halfway mark on the gauge),so we
stopped immediately,shut the truck off and called the local ford place.They
sent a wrecker,and when they got there,they were going to crank it up and
"take a look before we tow it in".They cranked it up and water/coolant
started dribbling out of both sides of the block.They towed it in,tore it
down,and found both headgaskets severely damaged, and both heads warped.This
is a bunch of crap.If mine ever blow out,I will either build me an iron head
"a" motor to go in it,or trade for an R/T,considering they still have
iron-head 360's in them when it happens.
Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
1ST place Dakota-truck at 11th annual Houston Mopar show and race/National
DML meet!!

--Original Message Follows