cap and rotor questions

From: Wes Weems (wweems@fix.net)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2000 - 13:16:02 EST

Ok, in my endless quest to end pinging, I decided to check into my
distributer cap and rotor..... something that may need to be replaced
regardless if it causes my truck to ping. My truck has 60k miles on it, and
so far as I know, never been changed out. I am looking at my factory service
manual, and it talks about finding top dead center, and stuff like that...
which I know how to do, but with that fan on there, its a bit difficult.
Also, I figure heck, that was instructions for removing the entire thing,
all I want is teh cap and rotor. Do I need to find top dead center, if I can
keep things aligned as they came off the truck? Also, anyone got any tips...
this is again one other thing I've never done.

Wes