Re: Anyone ever do a V6 to V8 swap on a 4x4 automatic,esp.GenIII?

From: mike d. (miggitymike@fast4x4.net)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 02:51:50 EST

>>Will a V6 tranny bellhousing bolt
right up to a 318/360 engine? I know that my old Duster had a 318/904
setup,and since a 3.9 is so close to a 318,and a 42RE is basically a
revamped 904.......? Also,what kind of problems come into play when you
consider the 4-wheel drive? I know it may not be practical to do such a
swap,but if a person could find a wrecked V8 4x4 Dak,you would have
almost everything you need<<

unfortunately it's not that cut and dry =(
the V6 tranny will bolt up, but won't hold the torque. The 42RE is not a
revamped 904, the 44RE is. I don't know what the 42RE is derived from.
If you find a junked V8 4x Dak, get the tranny too, and the driveshafts, and
the wiring harness, and the computer. Get everything you can off of that
truck, you never know what all will come into play when you start messin'
with the magnum fuel injection....

-miggity

PROJECT 13's --> slammed 88 Dakota / 360 swap in progress!!
miggitymike@fast4x4.net
http://surf.to.Project13s

"Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes
straight to the frame"