5SPD Stalling (Was: Quad Cab Questions)

From: DML (robert.schultz.no.spam@excite.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 08:32:05 EST

"Jeff Durling" <jdurling@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:3A21B782.FF1A86DC@mindspring.com...
snip
> only problems i've heard of
> have to do with the 4.7 and the 5speed. Something to do with idle.

I talked to a couple of guys off-list about this. They were having the same
symptoms as me, only I got 'lucky' enough to have the problem repeated a few
weeks ago. Managed to stall the truck 6 times in a row. I drove straight to
the dealer while playing with it.

The symptoms were:
1. Press clutch in
2. Idle drops to 500
3. Surges to 1200
4. Drops to 400
5. Surges to 1000
6. Drops to 200 -> stall

The dealer couldn't get it to do that when they test drove. I left it over
night and the next day they replaced the Idle Air Control (IAC) and reset
the controller.

They actually did this twice. The service counter person said the tech
'didn't like the first one', whatever that's supposed to mean.

Since then the engine picks a steady idle speed while the clutch is in. I
had originally seen this at around a 1000, but since realized that it
depends on conditions (of course!). It'll sit anywhere from 500-1000 with a
VERY slight oscillation at times. Nothing compared to what I was seeing
before. It's been about 4 weeks now, and I've had no repeat of the stalling,
but that's not long enough to be sure.

Otherwise, the truck is great. It's not the best manual transmission I've
ever driven (Sonoma feels more like a sports car tranny than a truck), but
when I bought the truck I drove the auto and 5SPD back-to-back and the truck
is just so much more alive with the stick. This can, of course, be
detrimental to gas mileage :-)

Rob S.
'00 QC 4.7l 5spd