Re: Project 1 LoDako

From: mike d. (miggitymike@fast4x4.net)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 03:22:06 EST

>>Has anyone ever performed a BODY DROP? I can do the suspension etc,
myself,
but looking at Mike D's Project, I think I want my body lower than the frame
will allow it to go. Can I just use a cutting wheel, and remove the cab
mounts?<<<

ooooh... you've gone into can o' worms territory.... =)
I think I've seen 1 body dropped Gen II/premag Dak in all my years. A body
drop is a BIG ordeal, and the DML will be of little help to you (sorry
guys).
Just an idea of what would go into a body drop, first you'd need to cut out
the floor of the cab, drop the cab down to where you want it, then weld the
floor back on. You also need to cut off the bottom of the firewall to match
the amount of drop you put into the cab. You should probably use a sawzall
for that part. Also, cut off the pinch welds at the bottom of cab and the
bed... those things are unsightly. If you're lookin' to lay rocker, these
must go. Moving to the bed, you'll have to section the sides of the inside
of the bed. Consider your tailgate worthless, so you may just want to weld
it up and smooth out the whole rear anyway (which would look mighty tight
IMHO). Now, you'll have to cut out the bed floor over the rear axle and the
rear wheelwells too, so you'll have a big ol' hole in the bed but that's
okay cuz' then you can show off your rear suspension and show judges get off
on that kind of stuff =) On to the front of the truck, you'll have to cut
out the fenderwells out front and fab up mounts for the front fenders and
grill and stuff. This is the hardest part. You may have to go with a cowl
hood for engine clearance. When you bodydrop the truck, the engine doesn't
drop so you loose underhood clearance real fast. Something to think about.

I strongly suggest subscribing the Minitrucks mailing list. Most of the guys
on there are bodydroppin' airbaggin' engine swappin' kind of guys (and
there's lots of T&A too).

Good luck!!

-miggity

PROJECT 13's --> slammed 88 Dakota / 360 swap in progress!!
miggitymike@fast4x4.net
http://surf.to.Project13s

"Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes
straight to the frame"