Re: Posi & Gear Install Hard?

From: David's Dakota (dakota@ivyleague.net)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 19:59:01 EST

The PowerTrax is no big deal to put in because it just replaces the spider
gears.

A regearing ie: ring & pinion swap can be a pretty tricky undertaking. You
have to take the carrier and pinion gear in and out a few times while you
are adjusting the pattern by placing shims between the back of the pinion
gear and the rearward bearing...I had to send back my first set because they
would not get a good pattern. I actually purchased extra pinion bearings
and put them on a lathe to take just enough out of the center so they would
barely slip on and off the pinion shaft...instead of having to press a set
of normal sized bearings on and a number of times.

Also, make sure that whoever does yours is familiar with Chrysler rears, or
at least has access to a FSM and is smart enough to admit they need to read
it, as they require different tools from Dana or GMs and also different
sized shims.

Tip of the day: ALWAYS BUY THE INSTALL KITS WHEN BUYING GEARS. I did not
originally...because I had such low mileage...but ended on having to order
it anyways to get correct shims. And I purchased the extra bearings to
maching out anyways...so I should have just purchased the install kit
originally.

David Martin
98 5.2 RC 4x4 5 Speed
No-Slip locker and now with 3.92 gears