Re: Leaky T-case - Attn:Kyle

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 19:26:21 EST

> Did you ever fix the leak in your t-case? Mine has gotton somewhat
worse.
> Thought I might try the old "seal it up with RTV" like I think you have
> done in the past. Did you just put a bead around where the two halves of
> the t-case meet? If nothing else, it may help me located my leak, and I
> think you said that it would last a few months. Let me know what you did
> and what you used.

Oh Yeah my tcase still leaks, but nothing major to warrant taking it out to
replace the 2 spots where it leaks. One leak is where the two halves of the
tcase 'shells' bolt together and the other is where the tcase bolts onto the
transmission. About every 6 months now, I do a 're-seal- job on the tcase. I
drop the tcase skid plate, and thoroughly scrape all the old RTV/gasket
maker/sealer off and thoroughly clean the surface with brake cleaner, so the
surface is dry and as oil free as possible. I did find a product which seals
leaks without dissassembly, and have been happy with it. It came in an
aerosol can form, and think Permatex makes it. I would also suggest trying a
brush on type gasket maker/sealent....which comes in a jar with the brush
built into the top. I also have used normal old Permatex black RTV, and just
smear it on with my finger and put down a good thick bead, I usually use an
entire tube of RTV to seal up both leaky spots. This has worked for the past
year and a half.....or so, plus it is cheap and doesnt require me to take
the tcase out to replace what would be like a $5 gasket. If it does get bad,
where I wouldnt trust if there was ATF in the tcase or not due to leaking,
then I would definately spend the time or money and have the gasket(s) or
seal(s) replaced. You dont want to have a dry tcase and spend $1500 on a new
one when it locks up. Since this tcase is popular, everyone(tranny
shop-wise) knows about NP231 tcase and knows how to work on
them......atleast they do in my area. So far, my 4WD system still works
flawlessly......just remember dont use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and make sure
the ATF you use is 7176 ATF+3 approved. Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6