Re: update on my transmission/truck (long)

From: Crit Bennett (crit@engineer.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 02:14:47 EST

  Will, your tranny is normal, don't sweat it. Before my '01 Dak, I drove an
88 S-10 with 205k on it when we parted ways. Sure the no. 3 cylinder was low,
but the other three cylinders were fine and untouched, including the tranny.
The point is that I had a VERY tired engine and tranny, which left me with 4th
and 5th gear synchros left, 1 and 2 on the way out, and 3 was toast. If you've
ever heard of double-clutching, here's what I know about it (heel-toe braking
will follow some other time).
  The synchronizers in your transmission basically act like a clutch for each
gear (except reverse, which is why it grinds if you don't let the tranny spin
down). As you put pressure on the the shifter, the synchros engage, spinning
up the input shaft so that your gears are going the same speed and can be
engaged. When upshifting, the synchros slow the input shaft, but so do normal
frictional losses in the tranny and oil, so it's not typically a
consideration. Rather than pushing against the syncros at high speed, you can
double-clutch the truck as well, which is what one learns when living with
tired syncros. As the syncronizers wear, they'll start to sing as you push
into gear, but I digress... Rather than using the synchros to spin up the
input shaft when downshifting, which wears them considerably, you can put the
shifter into neutral and release the clutch, rev the engine to the approximate
RPM that it'll be at when you shift, push in the clutch and shift. You have to
do this quickly and with practice though, because the input shaft will slow as
soon as you release the clutch. You can get it in one fluid motion with a
little practice and save some synchro life, along with saving yourself the
dreaded lurch (unsettling to women in the cab, in my experience) associated
with engaging the clutch with an engine at 600 rpm and a drivetrain trying to
do 70.
  As grinding the gears goes, I'd look into a magnetic drain plug for the
tranny, just like people use in oil pans. Once you grind gears, those filings
float in your tranny fluid. The next time they go between two gear teeth,
you've got more wear and it only get worse with age. Most trannys do fine
without them, but they've always held a little piece of mind for me. I'm all
for keeping the junk (and steel) that I knock off my gears from recirculating
through them later. As a side note, there's something to be said for double-
clutching into third at 70 (about 4k rpm with a 3.55) on the interstate - it
just feels good and is cheaper than any therapist.

Crit