Re: Replacing 4x4 front outer axle seals?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 12:33:04 EST

> Hello everyone,
> I was wonderign how hard it is to replace the front outer axle seals on a
> 1996 4x4 Dakota. Mine are leaking, and it's annoying, not to mention a
mess
> on my driveway. I was just wondering what the replacement procedure is.
How
> do you remove the inner axle? Anyone done it? Tips and tricks? Thanks!

Luke,
Not sure how hard it is to actually replace the seals, but I do know that
removing the cv joint assemblies is a piece of cake. I would imagine the cv
joint assemblies need to come off to replace the outer seals, but not sure.
This summer I took both sides off and had both driver's side and passenger's
side cv joint assemblies rebuilt, due to boot leakages. All the really holds
the assemblies on are the large spindle nut, which is like 1 1/4" or so, and
the 6-7 bolts which hold the cv joint housing to the axle flange. Unbolt all
of these, and just slide the assembly out, which will expose the front axle
seal(s). I did spray all the bolts down with PB Blaster about 2-3 times
before even attempting to loosen them. Now onto the seals........I really
have no clue how hard they are to replace. I wouldnt imagine it is hard at
all. Mine were replaced one time under warranty at about 30,000 miles, and
now at 132,800 miles they havent leaked since. Good Luck. Let me know if you
have any questions concerning removing the front cv joint assemblies.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6