Re: destroyed 9.25" rear saga continues...

From: Train225@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 14:16:30 EST

<< Well, I picked up a 9.25 rear from a wrecking yard, from a '98 truck, got
it
 home and the front yokes are completely different. So I take it back and get
 my money back, no problem. Now I'm looking at rebuilding my rear, so I just
 pulled it apart, and apparently a chunk of metal got between the carrier and
 the main cap, it cut an 1/8" off the side of the main cap. and also got into
 the bearing surface of that cap. The side of the bearing journal in the
rear
 housing on that side received some damage, but not to the bearing surface.

 My Question is, can you get new carrier main caps from DC parts?? The dealer
 had said he was going to order the entire assembly because of this, but I
 believe that was because replacing all the parts was over 70% of the cost a
 new complete rear.

 Basically. I don't have many choices
 1. If I can get the carrier main caps, I'll go ahead and rebuild my rear.
 2. If I can't get the carrier main caps, I either have to get a 2000 rear
 used, or order one from DC. >>

Matt,

Have you considered a Dana from a late model Ram? I assume these have the
exciter ring for the speedo. I know new axles can be had for $400 or less
with the correct bolt pattern. Overall it might cost a few more bucks to
have the rear cut down abd new axles (and proabaly a new driveshaft), but the
end result shold be something that doesn't break when you dump the clutch at
3000 +.

Wayne