Evaporator going out?...

From: Michael & Jeannine Reynolds (jeanninemike@fuse.net)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 19:32:07 EST

I have noticed with some interest the posts about the A/C evaporator
problems with the 97+ Dakotas. I have a '98 Sport+ 4X4 with 30k miles on
it. Last summer, I took it into the dealer to have them listen to this
mechanical "pulsation" sound that I have in the cab when the AC is on, and
the fan is on the lowest setting. I usually notice this noise when I'm
coming to a stop, and it becomes more pronounced. The tech (real young guy)
who looked at it said that it was "OK, that sound is normal". Well, I
didn't hear it for the first 28k, so why now? Needless to say, they didn't
fix anything. I'm taking the truck to back to the dealer for its final
warranty check at the end of the month. Is this the evaporator going out,
and should I have those clueless techs check it out again? Thanks in
advance for your responses.

BTW: I installed a JET stage II chip on my 5.2L which has a K&N Gen II,
headers, and 180 t-stat. The performance is a little improved, but what
amazes me is that I have no pinging, even with 87 octane gas. My apologies
to those who have the pinging problem even with premium gas. I also reset
the computer and drove over 100 miles. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota Sport+ 4X4 Flame Red
5.2L, Headers, K&N Gen II
JET stage II, 180 t-stat