Re: Dak problem:maybe tranny,not the engine.(long,but please read)

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 14:34:40 EST

Hey there Steve,

I had a similar problem with my Dak, with the exception that my truck pinged
like crazy also (like popcorn popping). Sometimes the engine would run
fine, sometimes it would stumble (especially at freeway speeds). The dealer
did the spark plug wire reroute, replaced the thermostat, replaced the spark
plugs, replaced the wires (factory wires), replaced the intake belly-pan
gasket and wanted to flash the PCM (no way Jose!). After getting sick of
bringing the truck in to the shop weekly (for other probs too), I ended up
buying some Autolite 3923's, new cap and rotor and some Taylor 8mm wires
from Summit. The surging AND pinging went away! (THANKS DML!!) I was quite
amazed, the truck gained a substantial boost in power as Ford Festivas were
no longer a tough race from a stoplight. Well anyway hope this helps your
situation out some...

Darren Asuncion
Fairbanks, AK
http://www.geocities.com/dakotaguy1999/dakota.html
'99 Intense Blue CC Sport+ 4x4, 5.2 V8, 44RE auto, 3.55 lsd, 4wheel ABS