Found 8 3/4 parts at Randy's Ring and Pinion (read on)

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 01:54:18 EST

Ok Ok I know what you're thinking, "Geez imagine that a rear end place would
actually have parts for an 8 3/4" Yeah well, being the poor college student
that I am
I can't afford all new parts for my Dakota 8 3/4 all the time. So the really
important things I buy brand new, like brakes, seals, bearings, and other
stuff like the ring and pinion, housing, and carrier I got used. The only
problem was this... I didn't have a 10 spline 7290 yoke for my truck, I had
the 7260 yoke, and I long ago lost the pinion nut and washer (doh). Sooo, I
price out new yokes, the best price I found on a 7290 yoke kit NEW was $137,
I can't afford that. Well, I was calling over to Randy's to ask some set up
specs for my 3rd member and just for fun I asked the guy if they had any used
7290 yokes, well he went and looked, and sure enough they did, he was digging
through them while on the phone with me and picked out the best looking one
for me. Then he hooked me up with a new pinion nut, and washer too. Total
price for the whole thing including shipping from the West coast all the way
to MoTown was $87. That I can afford. Now I can keep my stock U-joint size,
and I won't be forever fighting conversion joint demons. Not to mention it
will be easier for anyone else who buys the truck down the road, that is if I
decide to leave the 8 3/4 in it upon sale. I still haven't purchased a
Locker, I can't afford that either right now. I'll need a few more cylinder
head jobs before I can afford that. Hopefully by this time next year it will
actually have a locker. Until then I'm going to put it in open, just to have
it in and done. Who knows I may just buy a whole 3rd member assembled ready
to go and professionally set up. We'll see, anyway, just thought you guys
would like an update! The 8 3/4 will be in the truck within a month.

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber Flowmaster cat back
exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm Ported TB, 3923
Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50 BFG Mud
Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
Coming soon: E-Body 8 3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes,
and Moser Engineering custom alloy axles!