Re: Front Differental Cover Gasket....or not?

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 07:33:58 EST

I use RTV front and rear... 97k miles and not so much as a drip!
_______________________
   Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
        jon@fast4x4.net
       www.fast4x4.net
'95 Dakota 4x4 318 CC auto

I plan on doing a synthetic change-over on my differentials this weekend. I
have found the rear differential gasket (Fel-Pro #RDS55047). Does anyone
know what the front gasket # is? My front differential code is "DJL Front
Axle 3400#". None of the auto parts stores have a listing for the 1997-2000
front differential cover gasket. Has anyone on the list removed the cover?
Was there even a gasket installed on the front cover? Any input about not
using a gasket and just using the high temp RTV? Any help would be
appreciated.