Re: Modifying an Alum Cap

From: Miles Harris (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 15:42:57 EST

What are you trying to do? I assume resize it to your truck bed. Any idea
what thickness? A little more detail and I'll be able to get you some more
detailed answers in how to go about it.

I work for a architectural sign company and in general we use a silicone
sealant to seal joints. We also use a VHB (very high bond) tape to adhere
aluminum sign faces to the sign frames, although I don't see this method
applying to your application.

Not knowing the exact construction of the bed cap, I will make some
suggestions based on the assumption that the cap is what we refer to as a
cookie sheet design. One piece of metal with formed down sides giving you
the two inch height. If that is the case I would suggest splitting the cap
down the middle and removing (or adding) the material (i.e. if the cap is
80" and you need 76" make your first cut at 38" from the end leaving you
with a 38" and a 42" section. Cut the 42" section down to 38")

To cut the material you can use almost any power saw (jig, saws-all, table,
skill) with a metal cutting blade. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES & A GOOD PAIR OF
LEATHER GLOVES. I'd recommend the skill saw and set-up a guide using a 2x4
or piece of angle iron.

Once cut I would use some aluminum L, T angle to mount under the seam. If
you have access to a welder you can have the angle welded to the cap skin
(be careful not to burn through the skin). Depending on the appearance you
are after you could just bolt the skin to the angle otherwise you will have
to use some kind of adhesive (two part epoxies are best) to fasten the
pieces together.

Use any good bondo material to fill the seam after the cap is reassembled.
You could also weld the seam, but that is a bitch to do and takes a welder
who has a great deal of experience working with alum. We avoid welding thin
aluminum, tends to bow.

I just realize that I probably put in more detail than you really needed
(my kids claim I do that all the time). Use what you need and toss out the
rest. Good luck.

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

Mike Styer <dakotamike@netzero.net> wrote in article <3A309E8E.C6AD862C@netzero.net>... > oops ;) > let me try this again, changing the subject line this tipe. Sorry-Mike S. > > > Hey folks, > > > > Does manybody have any experience repairing or working with aluminum sheet > > metal? I have an aluminum bed cap my granpap had on is old ford. It is only > > two inches tall or so and just clamps down to the bed rails, and works great for > > keeping the weather out of the bed, but I need to narrow it to fit on my Dak. > > > > Anybody have any tips on working with this aluminum? Sealing it, safely and > > securely working joints? > > > > Thanks everybody... > > > > Mike S. > > 93 V6 > > > > _____NetZero Free Internet Access and Email______ > > http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html > > > _____NetZero Free Internet Access and Email______ > http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html >