Re: What A Mess!!!!! 4.7 1st Oil Change

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 11:17:10 EST

> Question, has anyone changed their own oil on a 4.7 Dak??? Well, I
> just did and I will NEVER do it again!! I mis-calculated with my drain
> pan and as soon as I took the plug out, hot oil shot past my pan, down
> my arm, then onto my garage floor. Not cool!!
> Second, who's friggin' idea was it to put the filter where it is and
> have that dang little trap door thing to get to it which in reality just
> holds the oil up there that the filter drips out when you take it
> off!!!! Next time, I'm goin' back to my lube place!! Oh, it took all 6
> quarts of my 10-30 Mobil 1 also and right on the money on the dipstick.

Ed,
My girlfriend has a 4.7L 4WD Durango, and I change the oil in it, as well as
do all the routine maintenance on it. The best way I found to drop the oil
filter was to remove the entire 'trap door' shroud. I think it is just held
in place by like 6 or so pop-in style 'screws'. This way, the job is clean
and faster. Still nothing like the easy 3.9L oil changes on my 93 4WD Dak.
It is a very stupid place I think to put the oil filter.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6