Re: Re:Front Differental Cover Gasket....or not? Done! thanks for the advice!

From: Mike's Dakota (mikesdakota@home.com)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 01:42:19 EST

Thanks for the advice on the differential cover sealing. I purchased a
chrome Mopar performance differential cover ($18 bolts were $10) and it was
supplied with a good size tube of RTV...enough to seal both front and rear
differentials. They both sealed up nice with just the RTV, no leaks! The
butt end of the truck looks tight with the chrome cover! I think I'm
imagining things but, the drive axles seem to be a quieter, I also pulled
about 1/8th of and inch of metal shavings from the magnet in the bottom of
the rear differential. The truck only has 37k on it now, I'm glad I didn't
wait till 60k to change the fluid. If I would have known there was that
much trash metal floating around in there from the break in period, I would
have changed it at 12-24k.