RE: RE: Orange antifreeze = potential corrosion

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 01:03:13 EST

Yeah, I read a few articles, and that one mentioned Dodge specifically which
is why I copied it over. From most of the stuff I read the main warnings
seem to be about mixing the new kind with the old kind. Some articles had
very specific recommendations about what to do about changing types
(including completely flushing the system, as Bernd says). Nothing I read
sounds very sure, there seems to be a lot of confusion.

The main question about it is if the previous owner of the truck in question
threw some orange in on top of the green, is it possible that could account
for the corrosion he experienced?

As far as the 5.9L water pump, that was an admission by Preston, I'm sure
Prestone is going to admit as few problems as possible. They may have had
someone actually prove that it corroded a pump in a 5.9, but they're sure
not going to extend that admission to anything else willingly... hehehe!
Some other stuff I read about the orange and water pumps talks about the
silicate inhibitors (I think?) on the pump seal reacting poorly to the
organic acids.

- Alex