Re: Re: Modifying an Alum Cap

From: Miles Harris (spikes_duall@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 11:28:13 EST

Mike

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Generally away from my computer on
week-ends

If you can easily remove the aluminum sheetmetal, do so. Cut your frame
down to size and reweld it together (make sure you keep it square using
fixtures, clamps, etc.). Trim the sheetmetal to about 1/8 oversize (Hand
Circular Saw, metal cutting or abrasive blade, straight 2x4 guide clamped
down the offset from edge of the saw guide to blade) and fasten it back
down to the frame. Now using a straight carbide tip router bit with a
bearing guide rout the skin down to the size of the frame. You can also use
a radius bit to break the sharp metal edges. Once again, wear Safety
Glasses (goggles would be better) to protect your eyes, and gloves to
protect your hands from the sharp edges. Aluminum chips are sharp and warm.
Be careful.

Some options: If you can remove the skin and know of any local sheetmetal
shops that will let you use their power shear. You might want to give them
a call (a 8 foot shear should handle the length). Perhaps for a few bucks
they can trim the cap down, maybe even to size so you don't have to rout
the edges. Worth a shot.

If the skin can't be removed you would have to follow my previous post for
trimming the cap down. If so, and you are trimming opposite of the cross
braces, I would add some bracing under the new seam.

FYI: Aluminum sheetmetal thickness is generally stated in decimal (.050) or
fractional (1/16) measurements.

--
Miles Harris III
Simi Valley, CA

Mike Styer <dakotamike@netzero.net> wrote in article <3A31A92F.FF18A42@netzero.net>... > I knew somebody would have some real experience. It's an older style (80's) > aluminum cap. 1-1/2"x2" aluminum tube frame with two cross braces running > widthwise. On the sides and top it has thim aluminum sheetmetal (20 guage or > so, but I'm guessing here). I just need to narrow it. It looks like I can > just cut down the braces and weld them back on to the side frames. I just > don't want to mess up the sheetmetal while I'm doing this. > > Thanks for the help. And details are too often over looked, so feel free to go > on :) > > Mike S. > 93 Dak V6 CC > > Miles Harris wrote: > > > What are you trying to do? I assume resize it to your truck bed. Any idea > > what thickness? A little more detail and I'll be able to get you some more > > _______________________________________________ > Why pay for something you could get for free? > NetZero provides FREE Internet Access and Email > http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html >