Types of GAS

From: Patrick O'Day (fogbot@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 12:36:20 EST

In my quest to learn more about the liquid gold my dak drinks, I have found
this interesting bit o info.

Types of Gasoline Available in the United States

Consumer Reports, in its November 1996 issue, says that under the National
Clean Air Act, (gasoline) fuel falls into five types, each distinguished by
how cleanly it burns:

Conventional Gasoline
The most widely available, it is sold where air quality is satisfactory. It
isn't the same "conventional" gas that was used a few years ago, however.
Since 1992, conventional gas has been formulated to evaporate more slowly in
hot weather, thus reducing smog. It must also contain detergent additives to
reduce engine deposits.

Winter-Oxygenated Gasoline
Introduced in 1992, this fuel is sold where carbon monoxide from car exhaust
is a problem. It's a conventional fuel with oxygen-rich chemicals added,
such as MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether) or ethanol, grain alcohol. The
oxygen promotes cleaner burning, reducing carbon monoxide. In areas where
oxygenated fuel is mandated, this gas is generally sold from November to
March because cold engines run less cleanly and produce more carbon
monoxide. In summer, conventional gasoline is used in most of these areas.

Reformulated Gasoline
Since January 1995, this gas has been mandated in areas where toxins in the
air are a constant problem. It also contains oxygen-rich chemicals but in
lesser concentrations than the winter-oxygenated gas. It also is designed to
reduce certain toxic chemicals found in conventional and winter-oxygenated
fuels. It's termed Federal Phase I fuel, and will be replaced in 1999 by
Federal Phase II.

Oxygenated Reformulated Gasoline
A wintertime fuel exclusive to the New York City area where heavy carbon
monoxide pollution occurs. In the summer, regular reformulated gas is used.

California Phase 2 Reformulated Gasoline
This gasoline, introduced in June 1996, has a different formulation and
burns cleaner than regular reformulated gas. In March 1999, Governor Gray
Davis issued Executive Order D-5-99 ordering that the MTBE in California RFG
be phased out with none of the oxygenate in the fuel by December 31, 2002.