Re: 4.10 or 3.92?

From: Jim Yeagley (jyeag@core.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 08:54:53 EST

Here's one I can answer!

I just put the 4.10's in my Indy Ram. I also went from 3.55. All the guys
that went 3.92 said to go 4.10, and all the guys that went 4.10 couldn't
stop raving about it!

So I did, and I love it! It turned my Indy into a whole different truck.
Although it's a little heavier than your Dakota, it made the low end so much
stronger, so you should get a real kick in the pants!

I have the same size tires as you have now, 275-60-17. My rpm at 70 mph
went from 2000 to just over 2400 with the auto trans, OD on. Believe it or
not, my mileage was not changed for my local driving. Only time will tell
for long trips, but I think it might actually increase a little. This might
be different for you, based on the weight difference again. I was upset
when I talked to other Indy owners with factory 3.92's that got better long
trip mileage than me with the 3.55's. I got at best mid 16's, they were
getting 17-18. I'm thinking the larger ratio make it easier on the motor.

If you have the same auto trans as me, (they call it 4spd HD auto tranny on
the window sticker) the part # for the correct speedo gear is #52067636,
verified by radar for one of our Indy friends.

Also, a longtime Indy Club friend Robert Gordon, works for DTS now, that's
who I got my gears and sure-grip from. He has what you need, and is a
great, no-nonsense guy. He's got a stand-up reputation with our Indy Ram
group too, so you know you won't get taken for a ride! 1-800-521-0628 is
the # I think.

Anything else, let me know!
Jim Yeagley