RE: Mercedes-Benz 4.7l V8????

From: Batman (batphreak@whatthefuck.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 20:04:55 EST

The only reason for the single plug in the old Hemi was for packaging. Once the valves were angled on the combustion chamber and the necessary pushrods run for each cam lobe the only realestate available in the chamber was coming directly out the top. The reason the 4.7 and otehr overhead cam engines don't have the plugs like this is that the two camshafts sitting on top of the head tend to get in the way of a spark plug poking out the top of the combustion chamber.

-Batman

"Stlaurent Mr Steven <STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil>" said:

There are more changes coming for the 4.7 to gain more HP/TQ. One of the
changes is the head design will be retuned. Also, the next Hemi 5.7 will
have a dual plug versus the one from the muscle car past. This is a unique
to the old hemi motors.

The reasoning behind that notch on the 4.7 is to maximize the combustion
versus the plug angle.

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA