Re: Cali Smog cut off date

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 23:40:02 EST

SB42 passed in California.
It has been argued since.
Attacked since.
But NOTHING has passed to change it.

1973 cars are exempt.
1974 cars are NOT.

THIS I WILL SWEAR TOO. BET ON. STAKE MY BAR LICENSE ON!!!

What I forget and am trying to find is the switch over date for the rolling
exemption. This was passed as part of SB42. I also forget whether the
rolling exemption is 25 years or 30 years. I believe now the more I think
about it, that the original bill called for 25 years and the one that
actually passed compromised and made it 30 years. If that is the case,
then I would imagine the following would be true:

1973 and earlier model year cars exempt now.
1974 exempt starting Jan. 1, 2004
1975 exempt starting Jan. 1, 2005
1976 exempt starting Jan. 1, 2006
1977 exempt starting Jan. 1, 2007
etc. etc. etc.

You can verify the 73 and earlier part on the Cal DMV website FAQ. But I
need to read the code again to find the rolling exemption phase in language
and I can't find my link to it.

Now, understand that there is alot of resentment from the liberals that
conservatives were able to ramrod through SB42. Largely, it was successful
because thousands of car club members lobbied their representatives. I
made personal contact by phone not only with my representatives, but also
the ones I knew from my hometown (one of whom I used to work for), and
members of the committee that reviewed the bill. I followed up the phone
calls with letters. I was told by aides who contacted me after passage
that SB42 had some of the strongest grassroots support behind it of any
bill in recent memory. Several key liberals caved and supported the bill
due to political pressure from their constituents. Lesson? This is our
gov't damn it. It's too late when they pass the laws and come to your door
to take your car away. Then when you defend your property you get to
become a guest of the gov't all expenses paid. You have to get involved
early on and be aware of what is happening in your state legislature and in
Congress. The earlier your involvement the easier it is to shape the laws.
Phone calls followed up by a written letter is THE way to get your voice
heard. Email messages count, but in a discounted manner.

This past legislative session Gov. Gray "Josef Stalin" Davis vetoed a bill
that would have exempted home built kit cars from the smog check II
program. Comrade Davis' statement on the veto made it clear that he will
support the current attacks on the SB42 exemption. They will try to make
this attack quietly because they want to slip it by us before we can mount
a defense. It would be far tougher to rollback anything that is passed now
because Davis is the governor. We won't be able to correct anything
slipped by us without a super majority to override his veto. So, stay
alert California enthusiasts!