Re: torsion bars

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 18:46:36 EST

> I'm new to the list, having just acquired a 96 Dakota 4 WD V8. Tires
> are 235/75R/15. I love the truck, but I'm having trouble with ground
> clearance. I don't want a huge off road machine, but I would like to be
> able to get down into my wood lot to cut firewood. It appears that the
> torsion bars have sagged over the last couple of years, leaving only
> about 2/3 of an inch of suspension travel in the front. The metal on
> the frame which contacts the rubber bumpers is polished shiny. I'm
> wondering what I can do about this. Can simply turning up the torsion
> bars be a remedy? I've heard that can affect the ride and CV joints. I
> just want the stock ground clearance back so I can work with the truck.
> What are my options? Thanks.

Danny,
Nice truck, GenII Dakotas are THE BEST, especially 4WD Dakotas!!
I have had my truck's tbars cranked up for over 2 years. with no adverse
problems. I havent really noticed 'ride quality' become poor, cause it is a
truck and I dont expect it to ride like a Lexus. I cranked the tbars up
3/4", but I have cranked them up 1" before; I just like the 3/4" 'lift'
better. Be sure to get an alignment afterwards. You will also notice that
you will have to re-adjust the tbars every 6months or so, due to the sag in
the tbars; they cant really hold the cranked-in lift. If you want, you can
upgrade or buy get tbars. You might want to see what tbars your truck has
and possibly upgrade to the 2000lb tbars, or replace the old ones with new
tbars which should be able to hold the lift longer.
Thanks to Walt, I have stock torsion bar info. Here is the run-down for
parts numbers and corresponding information:
*1450 lbs Right Left
 87-96 V6 4322510 4322511
 91-96 V8 4322512 4322513

*2000 lbs
87-96 V6 4322516 4322517
91-96 V8 4322518 4322519
>From Walt's post awhile back: "The V8 bars have a higher spring rate than
the V6 bars
The 2000 lbs bars are physically thicker that the 1450 lbs bars.
They are all interchangable with each other. The rear ancors and lower
control arms are the same V6 vs. V8 The bars are stamped on one end L or R
and have the part #. I don't know how your finances are but they will only
cost you about $125 per side, new at the dealer. I don't know what they
would cost you at a junk yard, but remember that when you get a price. If
they're anything over $50 each, I would buy new ones."
I hope to upgrade to 2000lb V8 torsion bars one day and cure the front end
sag. Plus I have alot of add-on accessories, especially on the front end, so
the upgrade would help out greatly. Hope this helps you out.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6