torsion bars

From: Danny Welsch (dwelsch@virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 15:46:36 EST

Hi all,
  I'm new to the list, having just acquired a 96 Dakota 4 WD V8. Tires
are 235/75R/15. I love the truck, but I'm having trouble with ground
clearance. I don't want a huge off road machine, but I would like to be
able to get down into my wood lot to cut firewood. It appears that the
torsion bars have sagged over the last couple of years, leaving only
about 2/3 of an inch of suspension travel in the front. The metal on
the frame which contacts the rubber bumpers is polished shiny. I'm
wondering what I can do about this. Can simply turning up the torsion
bars be a remedy? I've heard that can affect the ride and CV joints. I
just want the stock ground clearance back so I can work with the truck.
What are my options? Thanks.

danny