Re: A better 4x4 Dak?

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 17:31:59 EST

(Let me try that again :-)

"...about this transfer case swap I have in mind is
the center locking diff. Currently you can get a
dakota with part time or full time 4x4. But the full
time lacks a locking center diff that the part time
has...."

There is some confusion about full-time and part-time
four-wheel drive systems. I have a stock 2000 Dakota
with the 4.7L engine, automatic transmission, and
full-time four-wheel drive. It has a center locking
differential.

The choices on the transfer case lever are:

4 Hi Lock
4 Hi
Neutral
4 Lo Lock

Normal driving position is 4 Hi. When I get into
slippery stuff I shift to 4 Hi Lock. When I want to go
really slow and still have the engine revving where it
makes more power, I shift into 4 Lo Lock. Neutral is
for flat towing -- behind an RV for instance.

-J.