Re: My weird windshield experience

From: Jeffrey Wilson (jeffalso88@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 12:05:02 EST

>Yesterday (Wednesday) morning, it was a little chilly (single digits).
>I saw something I had never seen before. When I shot my windshield with
>washer fluid, I actually saw ice start to form from it!

Actually, look at the ingredients on the bottle. A lot of times in the
cheaper stuff they will but an alcohol-based compound in it. This has some
benefits, like keeping it from freezing in the resevior at colder temps as
alcohol has a lower freezing point than water does.

One "drawback" it has though, when it hits the air it will evaporate fast,
as alcohol-based compounds tend to do with contact with air, leaving the
other fluid compounds behind on your windshield. With it being colder,
these other compounds will sometimes freeze and turn to ice on your
windshield. I notice others have already recommended de-icing elements, and
that is about the only way around it.

*putting my chemistry degree to good use after all*
Jeff Wilson