10 sec Neon

From: John Walker (dakotart98@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 20:52:23 EST

Can't let this one slide by... I have witnessed this "10 sec" Neon in
action. The neon everyone is talking about belongs to Len Alaya's/Hahn
Racecraft. I have had the opportunity to see this Neon race twice, first at
the 2000 Neon Gathering in Belvidere, IL and second at 2000 Mopar Nats. It
is quite a work of art. 12's in Belvidere and low 11's, I believe 11.14 at
Mopar Nats. The car had full interior in Belvidere and looked very
streetable except for slicks. The track in southern Wisconsin was not very
good. Most vehicles were having trouble launching...slicks or no slicks.
But he still managed low 12's. Mopar Nats was a different story...he had
stripped the interior down, and added the pretty blue bottle. This is the
combo that has seen tens. So, getting to the 10's required weight reduction
and a shot of juice, not sure what he jetted it at. I lost a tad bit of
respect for Len's car when I saw the interior stripped at the Nats. His
neon is still truly streetable, however if he strips the stickers, no body
kits or any other mainstreem "rice" appearance package it is truly a
menancing street machine...especially with the interior.

Hahn runs a great operation and Len's car represents their products well.
It is very proffesional, clean, and top notch.

Again this Neon does have internal engine modifications, obviously, however
even with its extensive mods, it costs a fraction of the cost of a Viper and
deserves respect. It's no different in concept than my supercharged Dakota,
or Lingefelter's 422. There is an age when people would say that trucks
don't belong on the track. Things have changed and Len's neon is a true
work of art that deserves respect.

John Walker - Brentwood, TN
http://www.fracus.net/~mopar
98 Dakota R/T IB CC- Best ET 13.386@104.90 2.110 60ft.
   Golden West/ATI 7-10psi * Leach Headers w/3" Collector
   Dynomax Ultra-Flow * Magnum Performance TB * Hotchkis
99 Neon R/T
91 Spirit R/T - Best ET 14.808@95.34 2.430 60ft.
   Eibach Pro-Kit * 16" Pumpers/FH SZ-50's* Centerforce DF