RE: Re: Sub 12 Neon Turbo-Truth or Facts

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 15:32:28 EST

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 8:23 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Re: Sub 12 Neon Turbo-Truth or Facts

You know, it wouldn't hurt to READ the webpage and get the facts straight
before going on and on.

600 pounds difference. Lets do the math.

Viper 3300 pounds
This neon 2400 pounds
Difference of 900 pounds.

Now, you can argue that 300 pounds isn't that big of a deal, but we are
talking about over 10% difference in weight. That makes a big difference.

Boost. Nobody said he was running 10PSI. He WAS running 10 PSI when he was
doing the Stage II system. Now, with the Stage 3 system, they are running
higher. They didn't say how high, but higher never the less.

He SAID that they were running on the bottle, and figured 100HP from that
alone.

Having been around Neons since '96, I've seen many people get close to 200
HP (crankshaft) out of Neons w/o turbo. Being a 8-10PSI turbo can get
another 125-150 HP out of those engines, without touching the insides, you
are in the 300+ range. Not that difficult. (I have a friend that run's 285
on his daily driver, that's dyno'd) I've seen quite a few Neons run in the
13's. It's not that hard to see this neon running these times. They are
not the only people doing it.

But, you would have seen most of these facts if you have read the webpage.
But why argue the point, the video doesn't lie.

THOUGHTS ON YOUR POSTING:

>Yea! Maybe smell something funny coming from the exhaust system under WOT
doing 13s. This is a three second drop from stock power. Then adding
additional three more seconds for the 1/4 mile drop? I just bite it for
what it worth. Alternatively, run a few times and stress the motor
completely out until the heads creak, drive gears snaps, or where the weak
point is.

>PT Cruiser with a Whipple root blower with few other goodies produced only
215-220 and other few goodies. That is a mere 50 percent increase. The
Neon SRT turbo was similar with the Chrysler prototype and you said what and
the gains are almost the same here. You are claiming what? 285HP? Dream
again. Increasing the pressure for the dyno only but not running on the
street. Sound more like the ricers who bring there supra and increased the
pressure on the turbo for that 30-second run. Then when it time for the
street turns it down for safety reasons. That is not streetable power.
Reminds me of the 653HP twin turbo Supra. Try driving that everyday...Then
even a Dakota 5.9 with a 12PSI blower pushes only 376rwhp and that is
stressing the motor.

>Look...if this was possible I would opt to purchase one and have twin
Garret Turbo unit sitting on the car right now.

>Getting 200HP of the Neon stock motor without turbo? Dream on! Which dyno
unit was running on? Where was it located?

>To bad, you did not live on the west coast I would love have the car
examined by a professional engineer to see what is really cooking under the
hood. Since it only 132HP stock, then subtract a minimal 15 percent HP lost
(generize with the lost) in the drive train, what do you have? Now add a
K&N, exhausts, and just doesn't make up the differences of 90HP? That one
magical K&N intake system produces some outrages numbers.

>The video, my man, does not tell you anything, especially what is under the
hood.

>Then let me run my Dakota with a 125HP NOS and see it run in the 12s.
Maybe a few runs before POOOOOOOFFFFF!!
Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA