Fontana AutoX Report

From: Woodruff, Jason P (Jason.Woodruff@West.Boeing.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 16:27:36 EST

I thought I'd tell you guys about the AutoX race this weekend.

Three Dakotas showed up; Steve and his Wonder SLT, Sam with a Hotchkised '00
R/T, and I with my Hotchkised 4.7L

The course was way shorter and tighter than we expected going in, which is
not a good thing for our big engine trucks.

I can't describe the other guys' runs well because you get a horrible view
from the grid. Sam in the R/T had an excellent start and had good looking
times to reflect, and from what I understand I think it's about his third
event. Steve, being the all pro SLT driver he is got some great times also,
but he wasn't happy with his runs.

My first run through the track I took conservative lines, but still got a
lot of tire slippage. I ran a 61.x seconds with no cones. A great
description of my runs: I asked Steve how I looked and he said, "Well... It
was loud." referring to my squealing stock rubber.

My second run I took more aggressively. It felt very fast and very
slippery. In the last 100yds a started to lose some control and time but
pull it back together and got through with a 57.X sec time, but somewhere I
hit one cone which gave me a time total of 59.x.

Last run I tried to get even faster, but I think I was using too much
throttle. Took off at the start like a tire burnout contest. I lost some
control but paused and gained it back at about 50yds from the start (that's
a little embarrassing). Again I got all twisted up in the back
go-though-the-gates area, but pulled it off. Then through the finish at
58.x sec, and amazingly hit no cones.

So my official times turned out to be in order 61.x, 59.x, 58.x.

This is a very cool informal competition that I recommend every one to try,
it's a lot of fun.

Jay W
4.7L Auto Sport+ C.C. 2wd Black
Mods Profile page at