A better 4x4 part II

From: Tom (Silver89) (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 01:22:38 EST

Well I called a dealer and asked about the center locking differential
transfer case and he never called me back. (time to call another dealer)

I re-read the previous posts and now I am somewhat confused.

<snip>
I dont know about the system retro., but usually it is costly and time
consuming. I am seen the ARB lockers work, they have the push button
engagement and are better than the standard locking diff. I have seen
one in
action, the truck was losing traction and then James(my friend that
own's
the ARB equiped ford) pushed the button and the diffs locked in and
traction
was magically there again and continued on up the hill. So I would go
with
the ARB front and back.

Alex
<snip>

I wasn't thinking of differential lockers.. I was thinking of a center,
differential between axles, that can be locked, restoring the 50/50
power spilt between front and rear. Others pointed out before, that a
full time 4x4 system with a locking center diff does exist ( I dont
doubt them) but I wanted a confirmation from Dodge about this. And info
on it. ( I with they would publish more extensive info on the avalible
4x4 systems the Dakota offers. The info brochures and the Dodge web
site hardl mention the systems.)

Time to put the squeese on some dealers.
I'll let ya know what I do find out.

--
Tom
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine