Correct way to adjust 1.7 roller rockers

From: Rick Lewis (rlewis@gric.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 12:15:50 EST

With my Crowler 1.7s:

loosen all the plugs so the engine turns easy, ya don't have to take them
all the way out, just fairly loose.

going in the normal firing order, remove the plug for each cylinder, watch
the piston while someone else turns the motor.

bring each piston to near TDC before the power stroke so both valves are
closed.

back the both adjusters way out so the lifter plungers can freely push the
rods/rockers all the way up.

wait about 1-2 minutes for both plungers to fully top out then finger
tighten both adjusters to "0" lash

After "0" lash make "one full turn in" and tighten the center lock screw

I know one full turn is a bit more than what is recommended but it's
certainly within an acceptable tolerance, I've never had a problem with this
much pre-load and it beats throwing a rocker and possibly major engine
damage.

I've been running by this procedure for about 40 K miles with no problems.

Rick Lewis
E-Mail: rlewis@gric.com
Washington, DC