GM in the Future (second paragraph)

From: SEMIHEMI01@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 08:29:29 EST

DETROIT -- Last week, General Motors announced it was phasing
out its 103-year-old Oldsmobile division. On Tuesday, GM hinted
at plans to drop about 20 percent of its current models by 2004
to cut costs and move new products into dealer showrooms. Indus-
try analysts tell the Detroit News that three Chevrolets may be
next to go --
    The full-sized Lumina sedan, the subcompact Metro
and the Prizm, GM's version of a Corolla produced in a joint
venture with Toyota at the New United Motor Manufacturing plant
in Fremont, Calif. They also said the Chevrolet Camaro and
Pontiac Firebird muscle cars, Cadillac Eldorado, Pontiac Sunfire,
Chevrolet Astro van, GMC Safari SUV and Buick Park Avenue could
all cease to exist by 2003. “We're eliminating where we have
overlap in the product portfolio. It's not that we've suddenly
decided to trim future product plans,” GM spokesman Brian Akre
told the newspaper. GM also wants shift more engineering work
to Mexico because of its wage advantage over Detroit. The auto-
maker previously announced a 10 percent cut in its salaried
staff and production cuts and plant closings that will cut about
15,000 jobs in North America and Europe.

SEMIHEMI01@AOL.COM (Bill C.) 2001 QC, 4.7L, 5spd. 3.55 LSD
K-N + Cool-Air, Quick-D TB, 10w-30 MOBIL 1, 180 T'STAT, SilBlades
GIBSON 3" Single Side-Swept cat-back, G-TECH, <A
HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/semihemi01/">"THE DAK"</A>