RE: Merlin correction...

From: Paul.Tomlinson (Paul.Tomlinson@gov.yk.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 16:23:28 EST

OK let's go with the formulas with this

Hp = torque*RPM/5252

Torque = HP*5252/RPM

According to my quick search for Merlin specs (in a P-51D) I found that it
produces 1740 HP at 3000 RPM, plug in the figures and we get:

Torque = 1740*5252/3000 = 3046 ft/lbs of torque

That and listening to WWII accounts of pilots saying they had to be careful
when taking off or they would flip their planes (Mustangs and Spitfires) due
to torque tends to make me think that these motors are/were very torquey
indeed.

Paul
2001 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus 4x4 4.7l 5-speed