Re: Tire selection for off road use.

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 11:16:39 EST

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:44:24 -0800, fogbot@home.com ("Patrick O'Day")
wrote:

>I would like to purchase a set of wheels and tires that I can put on the Dak
>for when we go off roading. We have a big trip planed for the spring, 700
>miles of logging roads and back country.
>
>I was thinking of trying to fit a set of 32 x 12.5 x 15 tires with 15 x 10
>steel wheels under the Dak. It's a 2000, 4 x 4, 4.7L, Auto with 3.55 Axle
>ratio. I put a 1" lift block in the rear and cranked up the torsion bars one
>inch as well.
>
>Has any one fit 32" tall and 12 inch wide tires on a rig like this? I would
>appreciate any comments. If the 32" is an issue I will get 31" like it came
>with. Will the 12" wide be an issue with this vehicle?
>
>Patrick O'Day

I've never personally tried that size, but if it is too wide, you can
get Super Swamper radials in 32x10.5. That would give you the extra
ground clearance of the 32 and still tuck under the fenders. They'll
even fit on 8" wide rims (which might be easier to find).

I have a set of tall skinny (31x9.50) Swampers that I use for
off-roading with both of our Daks. I got them because they were the
widest tire I could get to work on the '95 at stock height with no
rubbing off road. These tires are seriously tough and agressive for
off road use. They work great off road.

The disadvantage with these tires is that you don't want to run them
on pavement if you can avoid it. I've driven home from the trail
twice on mine (about 100 miles total) because I was too lazy to change
tires. The rubber is so soft I can see a bit of wear on them already.

You can see them here:
http://www.intercotire.com/ssradial.htm

Linux: Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.
Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 239 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white
hers: '98 Dakota Sport 4x4, 318 V8, Auto, Club Cab, black