Re: Engine light...UPDATE

From: tony mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 12:11:05 EST

Its funny because I have a Dak that is virtually the same vintage as yours.
I bought mine in Jan of 97 and I've had the exact same problem for the last
year or so. The engine light will come on for no apparent reason, then in a
few days it goes off by itself. I finally learned how to pull the codes and
I usually get a code 21. Which means there somethign funky with the oxygen
sensor. I just had to get my first CA smog certificate and the truck passed
with no problems so I dont really care if the o2 sensor is funky or not. If
the light bugs you when its on, simply detacth one of the battery cables
for a few seconds ( then re-attach of course) this will reset the codes.
I'll do this sometimes if I cant stand having the light on for 2 or 3
days.. It has never come back on right away so I figure theres nothing
really wrong. Also it took me about an hour of trying the first time I got
the engine codes from the truck, there seems to be a specific time interval
of the on,off,on,off,on to get it to work right. If you cant get it to work
try a little slower or a little faster and be prepared to wait 10-15
second after the on-off thing for the codes to come up. After the first
code comes up you have to do another on-off (just once) to get the next
code and again for each code thereafter. Again the timing of the on-off
seems critical when getting the subsequent codes I still have to go through
the whole sequence a few times to get to the "55" or end of codes message.
Hope this helps
Tony J Mastres
Photographer
University of California @ Santa Barbara