Re: Acceleration and Axle Ratios

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 15:49:59 EST

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 06:32:47 -0800 , STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil
(Stlaurent Mr Steven) wrote:
>The stock 4.7 is more powerful per liter than what is being advertised than
>the 5.9 stock. The internal mods are not required as with the 5.9 (example:

No doubt about it, the 4.7 does give more power per liter. But aside
from the engine being lighter, I don't see the relevance. The 5.9
takes more liters to make the power, but the extra liters are there.
It's still a matter of comparing the two engines, and deciding which
one to buy in a QC Auto. People keep talking about 5-speeds, and no
doubt the 4.7 5-speed is a great combo, but the original question was
asked about a QC Auto. Let's please stick to that configuration, and
talk about why the 4.7 is the better choice than the 5.9 in a QC Auto.

>rockers, rods etc). External mods added will surpass the 5.9 in both HP/TQ

Debatable, but regardless, I prefaced my question with the condition
that the owner would be doing no mods to the engine.

>per liter. The engine was detuned to not take away the 5.9 marketing scheme
>from Chrysler. Lighter motor, hemi shaped combustion, forged rods and so

That means the 4.7 is capable of more, true, but if the detuned engine
is what the person gets, then that's what has to be compared when
making the choice at this time.

>The TQ and HP curve are much more flatter and longer duration than the 5.9
>through out the RPM.

Now we're getting somewhere. Sounds good, but how does that actually
translate to the street and track? I'd enjoy watching a 4.7 line up
with a 5.9, same tranny, gear ratio, body style, etc., and see what
happens.

>Oh! This was the last year of the 5.9.

Good point. Would the 5.9 going out of production be a problem for
someone choosing that engine on a QC Auto? Possibly, but I would
think parts would be available for a long, long time.

>Now for that 450HP/490TQ Viper motor for my Daskter.

Works for me! :-)

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC R/T
14.425 @ 93.52, 258rwhp