RE: Re: Computer question, non dak related. HARD DRIVES

From: Jamy Klein (Jamy@stti.iupui.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 06:52:00 EST

It's not udma 33 or 66 or even 100 that makes a difference. Infact their
are no current drives that can even reach 33megs a second the throughput of
udma 33. What really matters is seek time and rpms. If you game alot or use
3d modelling apps, you'll want 7200 rpm, if you just surf the net, and do
stuff like word it won't matter. Realistically though the performace
difference between 5400 and 7200 is about 10%. If you can get a 7200 for not
much more than a 5400 get it, but if there is a hefty premium for 7200 don't
worry about it.

Jamy