Re: Dak Shelter

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 00:31:54 EST

One thing about the concrete. I noticed you mentioned the monolithic slab
with extra wire. Have you considered the fiberglass reinforced concrete?
You can use the standard amount of wire, but this concrete has fiberglass
strands in it that helps hold it together in a way wire can't. The wire
strenghthen the area around it, so that means that the lower portion of the
concrete is supported mostly. With fiberglass reinforced concrete, the
fiberglass strands act throughout the concrete slab to spread the force
better. Put it like this. My Dad has standard concrete for the driveway,
but we recently built on an additional shop (48'x 32') to work on cars,
etc... We have 14' ceilings since one of my truck is a 79 Ford 4x4 lifted 4"
and riding on 36x12.5 Buckshot mudders. We have two lifts (one in ground
pneumatic, and one above ground drive one pneumatic), and have no problems
lifting up the old Ford for repairs. Also, my own experience involed working
on the Ford and a sledge hammer (Yes Fords require sledge hammers for
repair!!). I dropped the hammer on the regualr driveway and busted a nice
chip in it. Dad rode my butt about that for about 3 months. Just for the
heck of it, I tried dropping the same hammer on the fiberglass concrete from
the same distance (under the hood, sitting on the right fenderwell) and it
did not chip the concrete. Only drawback to the fiberglass reinforced
concrete, till they wear off, there will be strands poking out. They don't
hurt if you slide on them though (been there done that).

Will
96 Paxton huffed 408 Dakota