Hotchkis kit installed on 4.7L....(suggestions)

From: Viper450hpGTS@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 00:18:11 EST

         If you have a 4.7L REGULAR CAB Dakota here's some useful info if you
decide to purchase the Hotchkis suspension kit for your truck.

1. Make sure you order the springs for a V-6 Dakota. The V-8 springs won't
work. Apparently the 4.7L engine is MUCH lighter than the 318/360
powerplants. The truck will sit 33" high (from ground to fender lip) in the
front with the V-8 springs. The V-6 springs lower the front to 30" (which is
the recommended height).

2. Before you install the leaf springs, remove one "mini-leaf" if it has two
on each leaf. A couple of these on each leaf spring makes up for a sort of
lowering block. Your truck will sit too low (only 30" in the rear). Removing
just one "mini-leaf" allowed my truck to sit 32" in the rear (even though the
mini leaf is only 1/2" thick).

3. To facilitate an additional 1/2 inch of suspension travel in the rear, I
would highly recommend cutting 1/2" off the rear bump stops. This with
removing the 1/2" mini leaf will give an additional 1" in suspension travel.
This keeps the axle from hitting the bump stops on bad roads under hard
acceleration.

4. If you get the Hotchkis suspension kit and use the Bilistein shocks (front
and rear), I would also recommend installing the sway bars at the same time.
Without the rear sway bar, the truck tends to wheel hop badly. When you
install the rear bar (and follow instructions as per #3), it takes ALL the
wheel hop out. As for the cornering, it rivals just about any Sports car I've
ever owned. The ability of the tires will be severely tested!

I CANNOT begin to tell you how helpful the guys at Hotchkis have been to get
this kit sorted out for me. A class act for sure! Thanks Hotchkis!

Hope this helps some of you guys who are considering the Hotchkis suspension
kit for your 4.7L regular cabs! If you have any additional questions,
comments or suggestions please feel free to drop me an e-mail...

James
'99 Flame Red RC Dakota R/T (ATI Procharged)
'01 Black 4.7L RC Dakota Sport (5-speed & 3.92 gear)