Transmission Shops

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 16:43:04 EST

How do transmission shops 'tell' if a tranny needs work or not? I mean, if I
go into a shop an djust tell them if they can look at my truck cause 'it
isnt shifting all that great', they of course will see 135,000 miles on the
odometer and tell me I need a rebuild for $1500......or atleast that is what
I am afraid of. A few local shops in my area have been advertising free
tranny inspection and free tranny diagnoses, but how can they tell what is
wrong? My truck, I believe, has the A500 4speed auto with OD. So can they
just hook the truck up somehow to a computer and is this how they diagnose
transmission problems? I would like to get my truck looked at, but dont want
to go into the inspection blindly. I have a transmission cooler on my truck,
and I have the tranny seriviced every year; meaning the pan is dropped, pan
gets cleaned, and the ATF gets refilled. The transmission 'bands' have never
been touched or adjusted, or alteast not to my knowledge. Within the past 2
weeks, it hasnt been shifting quite like it used to, but then again the
tranny does have 135,000 miles on it. It grabs a bit when going from 1st
into 2nd, and ocassionally will rev up a bit when shifting from 2nd into
3rd. So I do expect it may need somework done on it, just dont want to get
hosed or lied to, and fork out a ton of cash if I dont have to. Any info
would be greatly appreciated.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6