RE: Removing carbon build up??

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (fasstdak@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 15:53:32 EST

Ok...i'll try to be as specific as possible....

(1) Grab yourself a Dixie Cup and fill it with water.
(2) Get the engine to normal operating temperature
(3) Stop the engine
(4) Remove the airhat and start the engine
(5) Hold the throttle (by hand) at about 1500rpm
(6) Slowly trickle the water down the TB bores

** If the engine start to die, stop the water and wait for the engine to
settle again, but try not to let it die. Once the engine stops sputtering,
continue the process again **

Now, if you think that this is going to either "Hydro-Lock", break, blow
holes in the block, etc., you're sadly mistaken. The amount of water being
trickled down the bores isn't enough to cause any problems what-so-ever and
will turn to steam. (This does work very well...but if you don't believe
it...try it yourself.) Have I done this on my truck...YES. I've also done
this on my wifes Jeep (80K miles), my Javelin (200+K miles), my previous
vehicles (including my old V45 Magna), and even my neighbors '95 GMC
work-truck. He drives a lot of miles but in stop and go traffic. The engine
has over 200K miles on it and it was pinging slightly so we went this
route...no more pinging. ALL vehicles still run just fine.

- Bernd